Friday, December 5, 2008

Dumb Hipsters: The Greatest Gift of All

I was having a difficult day. Well, make that a hard week. A disgruntled customer at work, accusatory meetings, dire economic news, massive job losses in the US, an impending deadline for a massive document, and an unwanted trip to Sacramento, the unhappiest place on Earth. Then, today, I realized that I needed an oil change on the Supersport to go on the Cupcake Ride tomorrow.

Wrenching on the bike on a Friday afternoon after a hard week is not my idea of fun. And I didn't have any crush washers, nor enough 20W-50 oil. Damn. And the only available option is Munroe Motors. It's only two blocks away, but it's overpriced. Of course, I'm not going to get Ducati crush washers from Scuderia or Cycle Gear. And as much as I love Desmoto, Darren kind of looks at me funny when I ask him to get me parts. So Munroe it is.

I rode my bicycle over there, wanting to get the parts quickly and get the job done. The parts guys were pleasant to deal with, but I still cringe at the idea of spending money there...especially with the prices they charge for oil (it's still $40+ for 4 quarts of synthetic?) As I was buying the oil, I saw a dumb hipster fly by in the Valencia St. bike lane on a moped...a hipster on a moped: how original.


I left Munroe and started riding home on Valencia. Mid-block between 14th and 15th, just outside Four Barrel Coffee, an SFPD motorcycle cop had the hipster pulled over. He had his helmet off, with his faux-hawk waving in all its idiotic glory. I slowed down so I could listen. The cop had stopped the hipster for riding in the bike lane like an idiot. And he was citing him for not having even an M2 endorsement on his license. I rode by, was tempted to laugh out loud at the trust fund baby, but just decided to smile and enjoy the moment ;D

3 comments:

JustJoeP said...

Castrol synthetic is the best synthetic, in mine, and every reputable mechanic's perspective with whom I have ever conversed at length about the merits of synthetic.

Many many moped riders are DUI-license-losers, making the hipster all the more pathetic and reprehensible.

Awesome graphic, BTW. Where'd ja get it?

JustJoeP said...

...isn't "dumb hipster" a little repetitive? By definition, they are all pretty f*cking dumb. =)

Joe M said...

I tend to use either Repsol or Motul in the bikes. They both make a good synthetic 20W-50 (formulated for v-twins). I use Mobil1 in the truck.

Not sure where I got the graphic. It came from The Google...over a series of tubes.